The city of Beer Sheva
TO SEE IMAGES OF BEER-SHEVA CLICK HERE
To 108 km to the south of Tel Aviv, Beer Sheva is the capital of the Neguev. His history goes back to the age calcolítica, 1.500 years before Abraham. For especially, Beer Sheva is the city more cercanamente collaborated with the above mentioned patriarch. In 1900, the Turkish authorities constructed a small city to serve like administrative center for the Bedouin tribes of the Neguev, and in the year 1948 his population was coming close to 3.000 inhabitants. From that year, Beer Sheva has grown up to turning in a city of 200.000 inhabitants come from all parts of the world.
In Beer Sheva we can find important industries based on the prime matters originated from the desert of the neguevb and likewise, following a centuries tradition, it is the shopping center of the Bedouins of the desert. His weekly market is one of the most picturesque places of the country. Also, Beer Sheva is the starting point of some of more exitantes walks that the visitor can carry out in the country: Farmhouse, Sodom, the Dead Sea, Ein Guedi and the remains of Avdat and Shivta.
Abraham's well: An ancient well located in the way to Jevrón, which creates traditionally that was excavated by Abraham when it did his agreement with Abimelej.
Bedouin market: It is carried out every Thursday in the street Jevrón, opposite to the wholesalers' market. The visitors can choose between a big variety of Bedouin, such crafts as articles about embossed copper, jewels, purses of embroidered camels and carpets woven to hand.
Community center Beit Haam: this active cultural center is located in the Avenue Sahzar and opens every day. His activities, between others, include movies, chess, tennis of table, bridge, concerts, theatrical performances, readings and exhibitions.
Museum and Biological Institute: In Beit Iatziv, on the street Haatzmaut, this institute devotes itself principally to the study of the animal and vegetable life in desert conditions.
British cemetery of War: located in the street Haatzmaut, it is a sad memory of the soldiers who fell down for the city of Beer Sheva, the first city captured by the Britons of the Turks in the First World war.
Brief to the Brigade Neguev del Palmaj: Located to the northwest of the city. A good way drives to the brief which is opened during the whole day. Free entry.
Municipal museum: Located inside the building that was a mosque, his wide exhibitions status illustrates graphically the history of Beer Sheva and the surrounding region from the period calcolítico up to the present. His minaret offers a beautiful sight of the city and his surroundings. Entry pays except every Saturday and traded.
Information on Beer Sheva and his surroundings
Beer Sheva is the ideal starting point to realize walks along Neguev. All the places mentioned next are included in the itinerary of organized walks and can be carried out also in private transport.
Mitzpé Ramón: a people in development on the freeway Eilat and 85 km to the south of Beer Sheva, has been constructed at the edge of the Majresh (Crater) Ramón. The people is to a 870 meters height on the sea level and there presents a beautiful sight of the mount Ramón, the highest mountain of the Neguev (1.010 m).
The route lowers the acquaintance "crater" where the lime and the plaster are exploited. Exceptionally rare fossils have been found in the place. A youth hostel is in Mitzpé Ramón and a restaurant is hung on the hillside of the "crater".
Maále acrabim: (increase of the scorpion) A section of the freeway Sodom - Eilat lowers sudden 390 meters in 22 curves serpenteantes. From the height there can be appreciated a panoramic sight of the central Neguev, with the Aravá plain spreading in the distance and surrounded by the East for Edom's Mount.
Shivta: Located to 45 km to the southeast of Beer Sheva it is, like Avdat, a Byzantine people nabateo that dates of the IInd century ADC. Some of the most important remains of Shivta are the houses nabateas, with the second apartment still intact and three churches nabateas of the Vth and VIth century between the Byzantine ruins better preserved in the Neguev. As in Pompeii, the visitor can walk across the streets and patios of a 2.000-year-old people of antiquity. Free entry.
Sde Boker: 50 km to the south of Beer Sheva, this kibbutz was founded in 1952 with the baby's cattle intention. Today there is in development an educational center dedicated to the study of the desert. From the near gullet of Ein Mor, a haughty way leads Ein Avdat. Sde Boker is also a famous person for having been a hearth of the missing person David Ben Gurion, ex-prime minister of Israel. His house is at present a museum and a library.
Avdat: In the way of the desolate desert of Zin, where the children of Israel complained to Cradle and Aharón for the water absence, the nabateos constructed the city of Avdat. On the foot of the same one there is a small museum contained inside a Byzantine house of baths, which exhibits extremely beautiful examples of pottery nabatea and other antiquities found in the place. A restaurant and parking exists for expediency of the visitors. Opened every day, brought in pay.
Ein Avdat: close to Avdat, on the foot of the cannon there spread the frozen waters of the sink of Ein Avdat. Fed by waters that run for channels between the rocks, his beauty is increased by the dryness of the surroundings.
Dimona: to 39 km to the east of Beer Sheva and founded in the year 1955 as one of the first peoples in development of Israel, it is at present a strong industrial center.
Eilat: to 234 km to the south of Beer Sheva, Eilat is the exit of Israel towards Africa and the Far East. Freighters continue here the tradition of King Salomón. A paradisiac port for the underwater fishing, banks of corals and exotic fish. The place offers in winter a place that allows to swim and take baths of the sun.
Source: Jai Uruguay