The city of Acco
City of minarets and domes on a sandy bay with sight the Mediterranean to 25 km to the north of Haifa. Acre is one of the most ancient ports of the world. The city was mentioned in the annals of the Pharaoh Tutmoses III, 3.500 years ago. It was a Phoenician center so powerful that it survived the attacks of the tribes of Israel and as the Book of the Judges testifies it, Asher's tribe could never conquer it.
The Roman historian Plinio mentions the city of Acre like the place where there was discovered the art of making glass. There does not exist the safety of which the above mentioned assertion is true although of the ancient Acco a very thin and valued glass was made by the Phoenicians.
Another valued local exportation was a violet dyeing that is extracted from a snail fusiforme from the place, the purple murex, the emergence of the ships to steam rest of importance to Acre like port. The same one was not big enough as to receive to the new ships and for it his importancion was absorvida gradually for the Haifa port. In 1919, to the arribo of the Englishmen, Acre had turned into a small and sleepy Turkish little town.
The Acre esplandor is his history, which is reflected in every detail of the Old City. Being a real chest of treasures of the past, the tourist insures himself long hours of deep delight.
Aqueduct: The Turkish Aqueduct, at short distance of the exit of the city of Acco, towards the north, I travel Naharia, it was construído for Ajmed Jazzar in the style of the Roman aqueducts that they are in other parts of the country.
The grave and Jarines de Bahai: At short Acre distance, on the north route to Naharia, there is the house and the grave of the founder of the religion Bahai, which is known like Baha Ulla, a title that "Gloria de Dios" means. Inside the house is a collection of religious articles. Free entry.
Burj Commandar: the fortification North-East of the wall of The Jazzar is called Burj The kommandar. It is a crossed structure and it takes such a name for his strategic position, which more than once decided the luck covered by Acco.
Burj Kuraijim: The fortitude on the extreme northwest of the Wall of the Sea (du name means "Fortaleza of the Vineyards") is a Turkish agrgado to the crossed foundations.
Burj Sultan: fortification crossed in the extreme northwest of the bay of Acco. There is a room of guards and numerous lookouts for the qarqueros, from which it is possible to see the panorama that was presenting him to the defenders of the city facing his enemies.
Fishing port: The old fishing port of Acre, remaining only one of what once was a prosperous exchange port, finds on the side west of the bay of Acre. His entry is for a square placed between the Seed drill the Afranj and Seed drill The Umdan, where the fishermen sit down to mend his networks drinking coffee.
Seed drill The Shawarda: The Seed drill is one of the stations of trailers construída, after the Acre restoration, for Daher Omar. The place is related to the Venetian quarter of the Acre of the crossed ones, when the traffickers come from Venice did of the place his headquarters.
Seed drill The Afranj: Some of the stations of trailers close to the port that was serving as accommodation to the travelers of those epochs. The Seed drill The Afranj is known like the inn "Eurpoeo". The Seed drill is the place of a small establishment established in Acre based on a commercial authorization granted to a group of French merchants in the XVIth century.
The Faro: an ancient lighthouse is on top of the Fortification of Crossed of Burj is Sanjak in the extreme west of the bay of Acre. There is an opening in the Wall of the Sea close to the Faro, a breach in the powerful fortification that was destruída for an earthquake in the year 1837.
Lojamei Haguetaot: at little distance, on the route to Naharia, a kibbutz founded by survivors of the ghtos of Europe. The Museum of the Holocaust and Resistance is in the precincts.
Mosque To The Jazzar: Construída in 1781/2 for Ajmed Al Jazzar, the mosque is where he believes it was the Cathedral of Acre, San Croce. Opened every day, brought in pay.
Mosque The Ramel: Construída in 1704/5, the anteiormente sand Mosque is in the right margin of the principal market. A Crossed inscription was found in the wall Southeast, which today is part of the later wall of a business (the fourth business to the left of the entry to the Mosque). It is used at present like house of Moslem explorers. Free entry.
Municipal museum: The museum located in an alley to the left of the Mosque of The Jazzar, is in what until the year 1947 it was a Turkish Baths house, construída for Ajmed Al Jazzar. There are four permanent exhibitions in the museum: archaeology, with remains of Acco and his surroundings; art and Islamic culture, with a rare collection of Persian articles; folklore, with illustrative pictures of the folkloric life in the area and weapon, exhibiting a collection of ancient, great weapon of which they are of the epoch of the Crossed ones.
Museum of Heroism: located in the citadel, callle Hahagana, the museum is dedicated in memory of the illegal Jewish soldiers who fought for the independence, during the days of the British order. Inside the cells of the one that in an epoch was the prison of the citadel, where many of these men were confined, there is a display of pictures, newspapers, documents and other relics of the epoch, reporting the struggles for making real the sleep of a Jewish National Hearth.
The Hill of Napoleón: placed to approximately 2.5 km on the west on the way that he leads to the city of Zefat, the hill has said name because it was from there where Napoleón threw himself to his unfortunate siege to Acre in the year 1799.
Oriental market: Walking along the streets of the city there is a typical and coloring Shuk Oriental (Market). Positions of fruits and vegetables dispute the available space between butchers, storekeepers, weavers and craftsmen, all of them anxious of exhibiting and selling his goods.
Source: Shalom Online